Award of the 2011-2012 Auschwitz Foundation Prizes: 11/10/2012
The annual award ceremony for the Auschwitz Foundation Prizes will take place at the Brussels City Hall on Thursday October 11 at 18h00.
The Auschwitz Foundation Prizes, which in homage to all the victims of Nazi concentration and extermination camps are awarded annually to two high-level university research projects, have been attributed for academic year 2011-2012 to the following researchers:
- The “Auschwitz Foundation Prize” has been awarded to Nadia TAHIR for her PhD thesis entitled Les associations de victimes de la dictature: politiques de droits de l'homme et devoir de mémoire en Argentine (1976-2007) [The associations of victims of the dictatorship: human rights policies and the duty of remembrance in Argentina (1976-2007)], University of Paris-Sorbonne, 2011.
- The “Auschwitz Foundation – Jacques Rozenberg Prize” has been awarded to Laurent THIERY for his PhD thesis entitled La répression allemande dans le Nord – Pas-de-Calais, “zone rattachée” au Militärbefehlshaber in Belgien und Nordfrankreich (1940–1944) [German repression in the Nord – Pas-de-Calais region, a “zone attached” to the Militärbefehlshaber in Belgien und Nordfrankreich (1940-1944)], University of Lille Nord, France, 2011.
An academic session is planned for the awarding of the prizes, at the invitation of Freddy THIELEMANS, Mayor of Brussels City, the Brussels City College of Counselors, Baron Paul HALTER, President of the Auschwitz Foundation and the Board of Management of the Foundation.
This event will be honored by the presence of:
- Paul MAGNETTE, Minister of Public Enterprises and of Development Policy and Cooperation, responsible for Belgium’s major cities;
- His Excellency José María VÁSQUEZ OCAMPO, Ambassador of Argentina;
- Jean-Claude MARCOURT, Vice-President and Higher Education Minister, Wallonia-Brussels Federation;
- a representative of the French Embassy in Belgium.
There will also be a musical interlude and the academic session will be followed by a friendly drink.
The event will take place at 18h00 in the Gothic Hall of the City Hall, Grand-Place, 1000 Brussels (Lions Staircase entrance).