Rules of the Archives of the Auschwitz Foundation
Consultations are subject to an individual authorization delivered by the Auschwitz Foundation. Authorizations for students and other researchers are granted subject to a written request by the supervisor of the research, specifying the scope and subject matter of the research and its objective.The Auschwitz Foundation reserves the right to refuse authorization to consult its archives.
2. Conditions for the use and reproduction of materials:
- The texts, sound and images stored in the archives may only be used, in whole or in part, in accordance with the respect due to the memories of the survivors and to remembrance of the deportation.
- The use of archive texts, sound and images must respect copyright and related intellectual property rights, the data protection rules and the right to privacy, as well as the individual rights of third parties. Only the person who requested the use of the materials will be liable if these rights are not respected.
- Those using archive texts, sound or images in publications or elsewhere must clearly specify in the appropriate language that the materials in question are held in the archives of the Auschwitz Foundation.
- Archive texts, sound and images may only be reproduced at the discretion of the Auschwitz Foundation, subject to a personal authorization delivered by the Foundation. Authorizations for students and other researchers are granted subject to a written request by the supervisor of the research, specifying the scope and subject matter of the research and its objective. The Auschwitz Foundation reserves the right to refuse authorization to reproduce the materials held in its archives.
- Under no circumstances may the surnames or first names of survivors of Nazi concentration and extermination camps whose written, audio or audiovisual testimony is held in the archives be reproduced. The use of pseudonyms is recommended, with a reference to the archives of the Auschwitz Foundation.
- Reproductions authorized by the Auschwitz Foundation may in no case be reproduced or communicated to a third party without the prior individual authorization of the Auschwitz Foundation.
- The Auschwitz Foundation reserves the right to delete the names of private individuals from copies of the documents it holds.
- All those authorized to reproduce materials from the archives must lodge a copy of each publication or other support in which those materials are used with the Foundation.
3. Important Notice:
As a precaution, the form and contents of interviews with survivors recorded by the Auschwitz Foundation are not intended for public use or distribution, but solely for academic research and educational purposes.